Friday, February 12, 2010

Recommend ME

Friday, February 12, 2010
 
Recommend Me is a weekly event hosted by  Kate at The Neverending Shelf. It's a chance to highlight your favorite reads. It could be a book you just read or one you read years ago.


 
Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson was one of my of favorite reads in 2005. It was so good in fact that it took me less than twenty-four hours to read all 451 pages.

 I first picked up this book  because the cover art attracted my attention. It immediately reminded me of one of my favorite childhood stories. When I was a kid, there were two TV specials that were shown once a year. One of them was The Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland (which of course is still shown just not as a special), and the other was Peter Pan with Mary Martin playing Peter (which is not shown any longer). Of the two specials, Peter Pan was my favorite. I loved the thought of being able to fly, and I thought it was cool that a female got to play a boy. I also liked the idea of pirates and fairies. Seeing Peter and Starcatchers up in the library brought back these memories, and I really wanted to see if this book was a retelling of Peter Pan or not. The next thing that caught my attention was the title, which reinforced my first suspicion that indeed the book was about Peter Pan. Finally, I looked at the back and saw Barry’s and Pearson's picture and figured that the authors must of had a great time collaborating, and I wanted to see just how well they did.  Take a look ...


 I was extremely impressed by this book. First, I loved the fact that Barry and Pearson, took the wonderful tale of Peter Pan and showed just how Peter became Peter Pan. This was very unique and for a fan such as myself it was a lot of fun to read. But what I really liked the most was how the plot was so filled with action and suspense and how the author’s took all the important details that make up the Peter Pan myth and gave a beginning to it.  This includes how Captain Hook (whose name was Captain Black Stauche before he lost his hand) actually lost his hand. How Peter became a boy who would never grow old, and how he came by a fairy that was his constant companion.  I could probably write a lot more about how much I enjoyed this book, but I am going to encourage you to read it yourself. Even without the fascination that I have with Peter Pan, I think everyone will enjoy this fast-paced and original take on the Peter Pan myth.

In addition to Peter and Starcatchers, there are  three more books in this series that you might want to check out.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great recommendation. This is a series that I have been wanting to read for a while.

The1stdaughter said...

Great recommendation! I'm not a huge Peter Pan person, but I am a fan of flying. And I always enjoy a new take on something old. From your review I may have to give it a try, I might find I like the Peter Pan myth this time around. Thanks!

The Never Fairy said...

I find myself disappointed. Sure, it's a fun adventure story, but everything that makes Peter Pan, well, Peter Pan, seems to happen in the last 20 pages. Plus, there are TONS of mistakes as per Barrie's original stories. They even change the reason he doesn't grow up!! How they can have such disrespect for a fellow author's work is just crazy.
(And if it's just a prequel to Disney's version they seem to go against that, too.)

There is a Peter Pan adventure that's faithful and based on Barrie's own idea for more... Click here !

BELIEVE!

Kathy Martin said...

These sound fascinating. I too loved the yearly special with Peter Pan played by Mary Martin (which happens to have been my grandmother's name too.)

Jan von Harz said...

Interesting points you have made Never Fairy, to be honest, I never read Barrie's original tale, I only learned to love Peter Pan as I said through the Mary Martin play version. I will however, correct that.I have seen the movie you linked to and while I did like this too, again the play still holds that childhood magic good, bad, or indifferent. Somehow I do think a retelling doesn't necessary have to be totally true to the original or what is the use of the retelling?

Thanks for posting and keeping me on my toes.

The Never Fairy said...

I didn't like to a movie.
I linked to a book.
Jeremy Sumpter read it, that's why he's on there.

Also, the Barry/Pearson books are not a retelling. They are billed as a prequel to the story - therefore they can't go changing facts. (And yes, even though it's fiction, they ARE facts in/to the story!)
Here's a list of the differences. One or two 'mistakes' are appalling, but THIS:
List of Differences

Do check out the book I linked to... :)

[still] BELIEVE!

Maria (Serpentine Library) said...

This series is very popular at my library, they are always being checked out and requested. The borrowers always have good things to say about them. Thanks for the recommendation!

 
Design by Use Your Imagination Designs All images from the Keeper Of Time kit by Studio Gypsy