Monday, December 28, 2009

It's Monday What Are You Reading?

Monday, December 28, 2009
WOW! Did last week fly bye or what? It is really hard to believe that in just a few more days we will be saying so long to 2009 and hello 2010. I did manage to finish the two books I listed last Monday and started a third. I think I will be visiting the bookstore today to add a couple more to my list of reads this week. If you want to participate in What are you reading Monday?, don't for get to visit J. Kaye Book Blog to sign up

Books I Finished

The Seer of Shadows by Avi was totally engaging. I loved Horace, the narrator and Pegg, the black servant girl who help Horace unravel the mysterious death of her friend. This was a well thought out ghost story with a twist, and I highly recommend it.

White Gates by Bonnie Ramthun turned out to be another mystery complete with a curse, snowboarding, and blooddoping. The main characters were very likable, and the setting definitely an important factor in the mystery. It is a book I can recommend for both my male and female students on several levels.

Books I Am Reading This Week

Shadowland by Alyson Noel is one I am not sure I will be finishing. I read both Evermore and Blue Moon and enjoyed them, but I am having a difficult time getting into Shadowland. The main character Ever is a bit annoying. The whole love affair with Damen has me wondering just where can this thing go. But the worst thing is that Noel uses the word gaze on every page (sometimes more than twice a page), and I am finding myself counting just how many times it appears. Very distracting.

I have heard really good things about Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson and am anxious to get too it.




7 comments:

Unknown said...

I've got to try a couple of these. I've been away from YA for too long. Since I'm out of the classroom I feel out of the loop!

Shweta said...

Alyson Noel's books are among my fav. I am yet to read the third in the series. Hope u have fun reading ur selections

Nina said...

I heard that Shadowland was not so great than the first two books. I am wondering if i should try this series.. :(

Have fun reading the books.

Ruth Schaller said...

I loved Alyson Noel's first book and I have the second two on standby...hmmmm....I'll keep that in mind when I start reading Shadowland.

Hope you have a great reading week and a Happy New YEar!

Stephanie said...

The Seer of Shadows sounds really good! I am also intrigued by Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson.

Mine is here

Kristen said...

Last week's books were a bit of a bloodbath, eh? ;-) I hope you either start to like your current read better or find something else that suits better.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I have got to get Shadowland by Alyson Noel!! Love that trilogy.

 
Design by Use Your Imagination Designs All images from the Keeper Of Time kit by Studio Gypsy